Sunday, May 2, 2010

Too Hot to Chew

It's been 90 degrees the past few days. The horses were knackered before we even set off this morning. They couldn't even get it up to canter the last hill back to the barn. When my mom asked what I was making for dinner I said, "It's too hot to chew." True, but we had ice cream for lunch (check out the homemade soft serve at My Deli and Cafe in Purcellville, Va., tangy like yogurt, airy and smooth, perfect for a summer lunch) and though I would have it for dinner as well (it's Sunday, after all), that would not make me Mother of the Year. Not that I am in the running anyway, but.


So when my mother (who doesn't even have a working kitchen just now, so really has a reason not to cook) said she had made gazpacho, I readily copied her. I already had the ingredients: pepper, onion, cucumber, tomato. Well, not good tomatoes, we're not quite there yet, but I always have San Marzano's finest canned in the pantry. So check it out. NO cooking, NO chewing. Mom and I both rang off to go to the pool. Done and done.

Gazpacho
1 28-ounce can San Marzano diced tomatoes
1/2 large white onion
1 yellow pepper
1/2 large English cucumber
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon  balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
dash Thai chile-garlic sauce or Tobasco

In a food processor, grate the onion, pepper, and cucumber. Switch to the blade, add tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, vinegar, cilantro and Tobasco sauce. Whiz once more to combine. Put in the refrigerator with ice cubes to chill. Serve cold with chilled shrimp or leftover grilled chicken for a meal.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment